Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Work Continues

On Friday morning we woke up, the fried chicken from the night before at the bottom of our bellies. We knew we were in for another day with some of the most thoughtful, kind people we had ever met. Throughout the day we rotated between family groups, home groups, affinity groups and finally regional groups. In my family group we continued the discussion of “-isms” within society and how the cycle of oppression could be broken. In my home group of S.W.A.G we discussed the same issues but developed a more tight-knit circle. During lunch they held a talent show and I was lucky to have performed in it. The crowd was so willing to listen and pay attention to everyone. There was one girl who was nervous and asked everyone to close their eyes, and to my amazement I didn’t see one person with their eyes open. In the evening, a speaker came to talk to us about stereotypes against Muslims. She presented the issue in a comedic way which I liked because it helped to better understand it. Next, people who wanted to talk about their experience at the conference or what they were dealing with were given the chance to speak which I thought was really empowering. Finally, we had the dance which capped off another stunning day.

~ S.W.A.G Member Ova Flo (Justin J., Class III)

No comments:

Post a Comment